Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional fried potatoes. They are cooked in an air fryer, which uses hot air to cook food instead of oil. This results in a crisp, golden-brown exterior and a soft, fluffy interior.
The potatoes are smashed before they are cooked, which gives them a unique texture and flavor. Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are a great side dish for any meal and can be topped with various herbs, spices, and sauces.
Why you will love this recipe
- They are a healthier alternative to traditional fried potatoes.
- They require little effort to make.
- The air fryer gives them a great crunchy texture.
- They make a great side dish for any meal.
- Great way to use up any leftover potatoes you may have in the fridge.
- They are delicious. The combination of crispy edges and creamy centers make these crispy smashed potatoes a delicious side dish that is sure to please.
- They are versatile. Crispy smashed potatoes can be made with a variety of different ingredients, from garlic and herbs to bacon and cheese, allowing you to customise them to your own tastes.
You will need the following ingredients to make these air fryer smashed potatoes:
- Baby potatoes: you can use any baby potatoes
- Olive oil: to make sure that your baby potatoes turn crispy in the air fryer
- Seasoning: garlic, pepper and sald
How to make air fryer smashed potatoes: step by step
This is a very easy recipe.
Wash and dry the baby potatoes and place them in a bowl, sprinkle some olive oil over them and mix well with a spoon. All the baby potatoes should be slightly covered in olive oil, this will help to get crispy smashed potatoes.
Place them in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C). You want to place your potatoes in an even layer and not stack them on top of each other. If you have a small air fryer and need to make a big batch, this means you might need to perform this step twice.
Place the potatoes on a tray and use the bottom of a glass to smash them into thin coins. If you want to avoid the surface on which you will smash the potatoes getting dirty, you can place a layer of parchment paper on it.
Mix the olive oil, garlic powder, and black pepper in a separate cup. Use a basting and pastry brush to cover all the smashed potatoes with the seasoned olive oil.
If you don’t have a brush, then you can try to evenly sprinkle the seasoned oil over the smashed potatoes. As the last step, sprinkle the sea salt over your potatoes.
Place the smashed baby potatoes into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for another 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C) and shake them halfway through. Again, if your air fryer isn’t big enough to cook everything in one batch, then you might need to perform this step twice.
The temperatures and cooking times mentioned in this recipe are what works for my air fryer. But feel free to adjust them if you need to. If you’d like your smashed potatoes to be a bit softer, I recommend air frying them for 25 minutes in the first round.
Air fryer smashed potatoes – Tips & Tricks
- Add your baby potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket, don’t stack them onto each other too much.
- Use a basting and pastry brush to evenly cover the smashed potatoes with the seasoned olive oil before air frying them for the second round. If you don’t have this, then you can just sprinkle the oil over the potatoes.
Storage and Reheating
Store smashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To keep them from getting soggy, spread them out in a single layer on the bottom of the container.
If you want to store them for longer, you can freeze them in an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag for up to two months.
Reheat smashed potatoes for 5 to 7 minutes in the air fryer at 375°F (190°C).
Additions & Substitutions
Garlic: The quick version is to use garlic powder. But you can also use fresh garlic (crushed garlic) or make this super delicious air fryer roasted garlic and use this instead.
Seasoning: You can use any seasoning that you like with this recipe, I recommend the following combinations:
- Add some red chilli powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne powder to make it spicy
- Add fresh rosemary or thyme
- Serve with some fresh parsley flakes
- Add some parmesan cheese before placing the smashed potatoes in the air fryer for the second round
Frequently Asked Questions
No, as long as you use baby gold potatoes, or cut your potatoes into small pieces, it won’t be necessary to boil them in advance
Yes, execute this recipe until the point where you smash them. Then store them in the fridge and apply the seasoned oil right before you air fry them for the second round. This way you can meal prep in advance if you have to cook a big meal for example for a dinner party.
What to serve with air fryer smashed potatoes?
The beauty of potatoes is that they can be served with so many dishes! You can serve these with any meat or fish. I’m curious to hear what meal you have put together with these smashed potatoes, so feel free to leave a comment in the comment section!